Development and Build Engineer, Gateway (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
DEVELOPMENT AND BUILD ENGINEER, GATEWAY (STARLINK)
Starlink believes in providing fast, reliable internet to serve populations with little or no connectivity today. To do this, we are deploying the world’s largest constellation of satellites supported by an extensive network of global terrestrial infrastructure.
We are looking for you to join the team that is responsible for the analysis, acquisition, construction, and deployment of gateway (ground station) antenna sites around the world that are critical for enabling global Starlink service. Our team is responsible for deciding where more gateways are needed, figuring out the details of how to access local infrastructure enable activation of them, and then managing making them a reality. You will be working cross-functionally with network engineering and business operations teams to analyze and plan our infrastructure expansion while developing strong international partnerships to rapidly and reliably implement those plans.
We are looking for people who excel at solving complex problems, managing large projects, are ready to learn new things, and want to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, and collaborative environment to deliver on projects with real global impact.
- Create regional infrastructure development plans to establish ground station antenna sites that maximize the Starlink constellation effectivity and expand customer access
- Develop partnerships and manage projects with international vendors to facilitate rapid infrastructure acquisition and delivery to support establishment of gateway sites
- Review fault tolerance of power and fiber optic connectivity infrastructure to ensure infrastructure supporting gateway sites is reliable
- Produce tools, processes, and dashboards to increase visibility of key metrics for growth and performance of antenna sites and supporting infrastructure
- Analyze performance of existing assets to suggest improvements or corrective actions to support customer base growth and continued reliability of service
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or science discipline
- 1+ years of professional experience in an engineering, consulting, or project management role
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, communicate effectively, and work both independently and within a team
- Demonstrated success in multidisciplinary project execution
- Experience selecting, developing, or managing vendors or contractors
- Experience with any of the following is a bonus:
- Fiber optic networking or datacenter design
- Outside plant network design, construction, and commissioning
- Sourcing, building, or activating cell tower or satellite antenna (teleport or ground station) sites
- Producing construction drawings or plans
- SQL, Matlab, Python, C++, or similar
- Producing dashboards or analytical and statistical models (Ex: Tableau, PowerBI)
- Willingness to travel to US or international ground station sites
- Must be willing to work long hours and occasional weekends when necessary to support launch and critical project timelines
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Development and Build Engineer, Gateway/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Development and Build Engineer, Gateway/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?