Sr. Manager, Starship Build
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. MANAGER, STARSHIP BUILD
The Sr. Manager, Starship Build is responsible for a production facility and the on-floor activities of key assembly and/or service work centers. This is a dynamic position that requires the ability to monitor and create actions for key department metrics while managing production schedules, identifying risks and clearly communicating them to key stakeholders. As a sr. manager, you will lead several complex, multi-disciplinary production teams and projects and will be required to dive into the unique engineering challenges we face daily in building rocket engine hardware.
- Responsible for leading and managing a staff of managers, supervisors and technicians (up to 300 employees per shift)
- Manage modification, repair, assembly and integration of production assemblies in order to guarantee achievement of on time delivery and quality targets
- Responsible for managing the complete production process within a predefined area and ensuring safety at all times
- Resolve reoccurring non-conformance issues
- Review work instructions, and make change recommendations when needed
- Meet tight production schedules to achieve high rate production
- Responsible for assessing, staffing and vetting the appropriate skill sets needed
- Monitor material costs and cost savings
- Identify and set-up training programs
- Develop, initiate, coordinate, and enforce system policies, and procedures
- Monitor labor hours and overtime, and implement improvement plans and time management with staff
- Manage capacity planning of equipment and personnel
- Coordinate with Engineering and other departments to minimize production interruptions
- Think creatively and question the status quo while following documentation and maintaining prescribed quality standards
- Develop and assure adequate machine maintenance schedules and back-up spares availability
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field or at least 8+ years of experience in a production/military/automotive environment
- 6+ years of experience in a manufacturing leadership role
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience bringing teams and processes from development to production
- Able to effectively communicate with engineering and production (verbal and written)
- Excellent concentration and attention to detail with outstanding work efficiency and accuracy
- Schematics: engineering drawings, circuit layouts, and parts list / cable harnesses: wiring diagrams, layout drawings, and parts list. Mechanical assemblies: mechanical drawings and parts lists
- Strong leadership skills
- Safety training and/or safety certifications
- Experience monitoring, tracking and continually improving total cost equation
- Experience with applying lean manufacturing principles, efficiency methods
- Able to adapt to constant changing work assignments and fast paced work environment
- Must be willing to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed
- Able to travel for short and extended trips as needed (up to 10% travel)
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Sr. Manager: $160,000.00 - $205,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?