Thermal Hardware Engineer (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
THERMAL HARDWARE ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
SpaceX is currently seeking talented individuals for an Integration Engineer position on the Thermal Hardware Engineering team. You will have the opportunity to utilize your knowledge, experience, and creativity to rapidly design, build, and integrate unique systems required for mass production of Starship heat shield tiles.
- Design, build, and integrate systems into the Starship heat shield tile manufacturing production process
- Develop material manufacturing systems utilizing knowledge of industrial mechanical and fluid systems, chemistry, materials science, and general automation controls
- Model fluids routing, mechanical assemblies, and support structures using CAD software
- Create and release manufacturing drawings and provide clear instructions for build and fabrication
- Specify and down select components, such as sensors, valves, pumps, piping, and tanks, and provide detailed specifications for their purchase
- Interact with vendors and contractors to resolve system technical challenges
- Monitor and own system integration and activation in the field, alongside skilled technician teams
- Write procedures for system activation, manufacturing operations, and preventative maintenance
- Develop and implement control systems for the manufacturing production systems for heat shield material production
- Provide innovative solutions to problems under minimal supervision or direction
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, materials engineering, or other engineering discipline
- 2+ years of experience integrating, designing, and/or building an aerospace, industrial, chemical, or material manufacturing process
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 7+ years of experience working integration/design/build an aerospace, industrial, chemical, or material manufacturing process
- Hands-on experience working with complex fluid or mechanical systems in a professional setting
- Demonstrated expertise in the design, build, and operation of hazardous processing equipment
- Experience using Siemens NX, SOLIDWORKS, or similar CAD software
- Experience drafting and updating piping and instrumentations schematics
- Experience using SQL or other similar data base systems
- Familiarity with industrial control systems (such as PLCs)
- Excellent written and oral communication, especially translating technical concepts for non-technical audiences
- General hands-on mechanical experience: welding, automotive, pumps/valves, rocketry, etc.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX locations as necessary
- 50 hour work week is typical, and may vary depending on site operational needs, flexibility is required
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. unassisted
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Integration Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Integration Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?