Turbomachinery Engineer, Turbine Aero-Mechanical
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TURBOMACHINERY ENGINEER, TURBINE AERO-MECHANICAL
- Aerodynamic design of new turbopump turbine stages
- Mechanical design and qualification of rotating and stationary turbine components
- Analysis of experimental turbine performance data
- Work closely with engine leads to optimize turbomachinery to make the best overall engine
- Work with designers to prepare accurate and correct models and drawings for turbopump assembly and components, ensure that these drawings are correct and manufacturable with the available processes (or develop process to enable them)
- Interface with our world-class production team to ensure designs are successfully translated into flight hardware that is revolutionizing access to space
- Support both component and assembly testing. Be involved with defining the test configuration, the test process/execution and review the results to confirm
- Lead the resolution of issues encountered with the turbopump during development/qualification testing
- Support ongoing design improvements to turbopump assemblies and/or sub systems including manufacturing improvements to reduce cost and lead time of components
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline, physics or mathematics
- 1+ years of experience in the design of turbomachinery or other turbomachinery experience (internship experience qualifies)
- 1+ years of experience with commercial analysis (structural and fluids) software
PREFFERED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong understanding of turbine aerodynamic and mechanical design
- Master's degree or higher in aeronautical/astronautical, aerospace or mechanical engineering
- 5+ years of experience in turbine aerodynamics position, completion of several aerodynamic designs, with at least one designed, manufactured, and tested
- Familiarity with turbine structural design requirements and qualification methodology
- Ability and desire to take on new responsibilities and challenges
- Rocket turbomachinery experience
- Deep understanding of aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and thermodynamics of rotating machinery
- Structural analysis experience including stress, modal tuning, and thermal
- Professional experience using Siemens NX (Unigraphics)
- Professional experience with commercial CFD tools: Fine Turbo, STAR-CCM+, CFX
- Professional experience with ANSYS FEA tools
- Desire to train/mentor entry level engineers and interns
- Positive and productive attitude in the face of extreme challenges
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Turbomachinery Engineer/Level 1: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Turbomachinery Engineer/Level 2: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.