Manager, Spacecraft Integration - Payloads (Technicians)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANAGER, SPACECRAFT INTEGRATION - PAYLOADS (TECHNICIANS)
- Manage and mentor a diverse team of technicians and specialists focused on launch site payload Integration. This includes hiring efforts, performance evaluations, and growth management. The manager will be responsible for working closely with the counterparts at other launch sites to drive consistency in approach and expectations across technician teams.
- Manage team of skilled technicians, specialists, and supervisors to maintain processing facilities, mechanical GSE, fluids GSE, and avionics GSE, including coordination and execution of preventative maintenance plans for all ground support equipment (GSE) needed for Payload Integration
- Work directly with engineers to plan, resource, and execute payload integration while balancing multiple competing priorities – including coordinating supporting resources when needed (NDE, quality, logistics etc.)
- Work closely with the customer operations and integration teams across multiple missions to satisfy customer requirements during launch site processing
- Develop metrics and tracking systems in order to determine future resource needs to meet integration needs/manifest
- Work with recruiting team to hire skilled technicians and specialists to fill open roles on the team in a timely manner
- Work closely with the build reliability team to design and systemically implement new processes and improvements throughout the organization
- Ensure new technicians are trained effectively to support flight hardware and critical GSE operations
- Assist in managing inventory of maintenance consumables and critical spares for all GSE equipment
- Continuously look for opportunities to improve processes, equipment and work environment to make payload operations efficient and safe
- Monitor labor hours while implementing improvement plans for time management with staff
- Lead and manage performance of the team to ensure milestones and goals are met and job satisfaction is high.
- Develop the strategic vision for the organization. Cultivate an attitude of continuous improvement and encourage positive change.
- Provide mentorship and leadership development for leaders within the organization
- Promote and maintain a positive work environment and culture of extreme ownership
- Ensure the team is following all necessary regulations and appropriate SpaceX procedures including quality policies, safety policies, OSHA, USAF range, etc. standards and regulations
- Drive a strong focus on safety to achieve excellent safety performance with the team
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 5+ years of prior leadership experience leading teams, projects or people
- 5+ years in aerospace or aviation industry (air frame, launch vehicle, or military)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s degree in technical field
- 5+ years’ experience as a technician
- Experience with spacecraft integration or launch vehicle integration
- Prior experience with spacecraft integration or launch vehicle integration
- Ability to rapidly change priorities and responsibilities in a high-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to communicate clearly and accurately with a wide range of people with a positive attitude
- Problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Intermediate skill level using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook)
- Experience working with or leading teams that test and operate hazardous systems (high pressure, high energy, hazardous gases/fluids, etc.)
- Ability to be diplomatic with a variety of individuals across the organizational infrastructure
- Experience working in and leading teams in a clean room environment and with customer hardware
- Ability to influence a wide range of people across multiple organizations, including mission management, customers, and vendors.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, a meticulous attention to detail, an emphasis on safety, cleanliness, adherence to corporate policies and standards, a great attitude, and the ability to work with and influence a team to accomplish challenging goals
- Ability to obtain or currently hold Top Secret/SCI security clearance. Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions. If so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing.
- Must be willing to travel, potentially for extended periods of time
- Physical effort including standing, lifting, and carrying moderately heavy materials or equipment (15 to 35lbs); flight hardware typically is built in tight quarters
- Must be able to work around high-pressure systems
- Must be available to work extended hours, nights and weekends as required
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Vandenberg
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Manager: $130,000.00 - $180,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influence in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?