Packaging Engineer, Supply Chain (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PACKAGING ENGINEER, SUPPLY CHAIN (STARSHIP)
The Supply Chain team is responsible for the sourcing, planning, procurement, warehousing, and transportation of all raw materials and components needed to build our revolutionary spacecraft and launch vehicles. Our mission is to get the right part in the right place at the right time, every time. A Packaging Engineer designs, and develops packaging solutions for the organization’s products. They work with internal resources and packaging suppliers to deliver cost effective packaging solutions as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Design and implement cost-effective and timely packaging solutions
- Develop detailed packaging specifications to ensure cost-effective, quality materials are used for all components, sub-assemblies, and end items as required
- Develop systems for the maintenance of existing packaging and the creation of new packaging and equipment
- Develop written procedures, guidelines, specifications, and direct activities to determine best practice packaging; both internally and with supply base
- Manage wood crate/composite box purchasing, construction and inventory
- Determine feasibility of packaging and their containers by building models; testing methods and containers; determining equipment requirements and evaluating cost
- Aid Supply Chain department in developing packaging alternatives that help support cost reduction initiatives
- Represent Packaging on cross-functional projects with purchasing, logistics, and production departments
- Continuously evaluate new packaging materials and packaging systems for application to company products both current and future, and make recommendations for appropriate changes
- Develop innovative cost savings ideas that revolve around packaging development and transportation
- Bachelor’s degree in packaging engineering, industrial engineering, mechanical engineering or a technical discipline
- 3+ years of experience in a packaging, industrial, or manufacturing environment
- 1+ years of experience with 3D CAD software
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Familiarity with rigid packaging concepts such as plastics, wood and metals
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together
- Aerospace or automotive experience
- Experience with ERP systems
- Quick learner and easily adaptable to a variety of different production environments
- Hands on packaging design skills and problem solving
- Strong working knowledge of MS Word, Access, Excel, Project and Windows
- Ability to work long hours and weekends when needed to meet critical deadlines
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Packaging Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Packaging Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?