Filament Winding Technician
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
FILAMENT WINDING TECHNICIAN
- Perform filament winding operations on tubes and cylinder.
- Perform filament winding work according to procedures, engineering drawings, and specifications and test instructions.
- Conduct filament winding including setup, resin mixing, winding and oven curing applications.
- Program and troubleshoot filament winding machine and software systems.
- Provide input to engineers/management with respect to needed or recommended changes on wind patterns.
- Perform all work per engineering drawings, as well as both written and verbal instructions from management and work with engineers to develop composite overwrapped pressure vessels (COPV).
- Assemble and ship products on time which meets or exceed specifications.
- Perform product inspection and rework as required.
- Provide requested metrics and data of winding operations.
- Responsible for the daily cleaning of all winding associated tools and equipment.
- When needed, support other production area in COPV liner production, sub assembly and manifold assembly operations.
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate.
- 2+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment setting up and operating machinery such as, but not limited to, filament winding equipment and automated epoxy dispensing.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience using standard mechanical measurement tools (calipers, micrometers, gauges, etc.)
- Ability to follow detailed work instructions on calibration.
- Knowledge of different composite fiber and resin types.
- Experience with MVP or Entec filament winding machines a plus.
- Knowledge using filament wilding assembly tools and equipment.
- Ability to review detailed assembly drawings for final assembly of hardware.
- Ability to use custom tooling, fixtures, and equipment.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team, meet aggressive schedules, operate and understand engineering drawings and ability to make full use of computer network systems.
- This is a 1st shift role working from 5 AM – 3:30 PM.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs unassisted.
- Ability to travel to different sites, as needed. Up to 5% travel.
- Must be willing to work all required shifts, weekends, and overtime, as needed.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Filament Winding Technician/Level 1: $23.00 - $31.00/hour
Filament Winding Technician/Level 2: $28.0 - $37.00/hour
Filament Winding Technician/Level 3: $33.00 - $43.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?