Network Infrastructure Specialist
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
NETWORK INFRASTRUCTURE SPECIALIST
SpaceX Network Infrastructure Specialists design layer 1 network infrastructure for supporting critical launch, landing and production facilities. The IT Network Infrastructure team installs and supports the infrastructure used for all types of telecommunications in support of our launch vehicles, spacecraft and production areas, including the layer 1 fiber and copper data network cabling infrastructure, operational voice (both wired and wireless systems), mission video, ground-side vehicle and payload interface RF systems, ground stations, telemetry and optical tracking systems, marine communications, readiness testing, and other systems involved in real-time communications and operations for Falcon, Dragon, Starship and other missions.
- Plan, design and implement local and wide-area network solutions between multiple platforms and protocols
- Conduct fiber optic detailed network design for middle mile and last mile fiber-based networks
- Conduct project planning, cost analysis and vendor comparisons
- Assist in job walks and in determining needs for new installations and redesigns
- Work in conjunction with professional services and outsourcing functions as needed
- Collaborate with all staff members and stakeholders in the development and use of proper procedures in support of all layer 1 infrastructure
- Ensure all components and materials are clean and serviceable
- Obtain and maintain licenses, operator permits, or certifications as required
- Monitor and maintain a reasonable inventory of replacement hardware, general use materials, and tools
- Acquire proper inventory parts and equipment needed for repair or replacement of defective components
- Process, track and efficiently execute work orders and support tickets
- Assist in vendor scheduling, installation, and subcontracting activities on large and complex facility system infrastructure
- Maintain documentation of job status, job change revisions, material flow and other project and maintenance records
- Perform a variety of related duties in support of network operation
- Develop novel ways to streamline processes and increase the reliability of network functionality
- Support infrastructure in a multitude of environments with our land and sea based assets
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 3+ years of experience work related experience in OSP and/or ISP fiber detailed design
- Experience with wired and wireless voice intercom communication systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering, technical, or mechanical field
- Basic knowledge of TCP/IP networking protocols
- 3+ years of experience in basic construction techniques and the use of power tools, hand tools, and calibrated tooling
- Experience in the space exploration industry, aviation, military or other high-reliability operating environment
- Basic experience in project management
- Ability to read and understand basic wiring schematics and construction blueprints
- Communication skills for relaying data (verbally and in-writing) between other employees and customers
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Availability for long hours and weekends, as the schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility is required
- Availability for occasional travel, as required
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- Must be willing to travel (approximately 20%) to other launch sites as necessary
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Network Infrastructure Specialist/Level 1: $28.00/hour
Network Infrastructure Specialist/Level 2: $34.00/hour
Network Infrastructure Specialist/Level 3: $42.00 - $58.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?