Manager, Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) Operations
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANAGER, NONDESTRUCIVE EVALUATION (NDE) OPERATIONS
The Manager of Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) Operations leads a team of nondestructive evaluation / nondestructive testing (NDE/NDT) inspectors and supervisors who perform complex inspections on SpaceX’s flight hardware in Hawthorne, CA.
SpaceX is a highly dynamic environment and the NDE Operations team consistently challenges itself to do newer and more difficult things. This leader must be able to adapt to rapidly changing requirements, deadlines, and shifts in company focus. In the face of these challenges, this individual must also maintain safety and reliability as their top priorities. This position requires a strong people manager who enables SpaceX to achieve its goals by investing in the people who work here, providing career growth opportunities, and valuable feedback to all team members.
- Manage a team of NDE supervisors and inspectors
- Create safety, reliability, and delivery systems to ensure continuous improvement through execution of strategic and tactical processes
- Create the culture and processes needed to ensure a safe and reliable working environment
- Identify process improvements and ensure operations are lean, efficient, and effective
- Develop appropriate metrics and goals for each resource center and work with supervisors and the team to achieve improved results
- Work closely with NDE Engineering Leadership to collaborate and provide strategic direction for new technology deployments on the production floor
- Collaborate with partners, (NDE Engineering, Production leadership, and Design Engineering) peers, and team members to align on goals and to resolve any issues that arise during operations
- Develop supervisors and inspectors through standardized training, personal growth plans, and focused goals
- 2+ years of experience in a leadership role with direct reports
- 1+ year of work experience in NDE or a quality focused organization
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Leadership experience managing a large team of nondestructive evaluation inspectors operating in multiple locations
- Experience in the NDE industry managing inspectors and supervisors
- A strong technical understanding and practical knowledge of NDE inspection processes, systems, and industry requirements
- Knowledge and understanding of NASA 5009, NAS 410 and SNT TC-1-A standards
- Capable of performing root cause analysis on suspect inspection escapes
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills, enthusiasm for the team’s spirit of innovation and mission of improving reliability in cutting-edge technology
- Dedicated to adopting a lean approach to quality without compromising safety or reliability
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Must be willing to travel to remote sites as needed (up to 25%)
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg locations
PAY AND BENEFITS
Manager NDE Operations/Manager: $125,000.00 - $160,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?