Harness Design Engineer (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
HARNESS DESIGN ENGINEER (STARLINK)
- Develop the electro-mechanical design of wire harnesses within our family of Starlink vehicles and/or gateway antennas
- Develop harness design solutions within a 3D NX CAD environment, and manage technical trade studies to meet stakeholder objectives as well as adhere to internal design standards and requirements
- Generate electrical schematics to support both flight and qualification designs
- Own vehicle-level harnessing mechanical assemblies and drive to closure all systems integration trades related to those assemblies
- Perform analysis and physical testing (both mechanical and electrical) of harnessing with respect to thermal, loads, vibration and shock to ensure full qualification for flight
- Document and communicate the design, analysis and testing results thoroughly and clearly via design reviews
- Create and release on schedule, appropriate harnessing manufacturing documentation and drawings
- Interface with harness production and integration teams to ensure final harness designs can be produced and installed on schedule in accordance with overall project goals
- Perform R&D investigations and trade studies to push wire harness design to new boundaries in terms of mass and cost savings
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with CAD and FEA software packages
- 2+ years of electro-mechanical wire harness design experience (internships, student projects, and professional experience are applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proficiency with Siemens NX and Teamcenter
- Experience with wire harness 3D design, wire harness installations drawings and formboard creation, wiring diagrams, 3D modeling of complex top-level assemblies, 3D modeling and analysis of avionics enclosures and secondary structure
- Wire harness component selection and qualification experience
- General wire harness analysis, testing and qualification experience
- Strong team working skills with a proven ability to effectively interact and collaborate with other engineering disciplines and excellent attention to detail
- Capability to solve complex design problems to tight schedules with minimal supervision
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and space exploration, with a strong desire to revolutionize wire harness design
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong sense of personal accountability and drive to succeed
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary to support critical milestones
- Willing to travel up to 30% of the time
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Harness Design Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Harness Design Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?