Launch Pad Technician (Scaffolding) - Temporary
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH PAD TECHNICIAN (SCAFFOLDING) - TEMPORARY
- Construct, assemble, maintain and dismantling of tubular scaffolding or other temporary structures
- Create different kinds of platforms, from simple scaffolding to complex structures
- Hoists scaffolding materials upward in order to erect temporary structure
- Properly secures and levels locking sections of scaffolding material
- Troubleshoot operational issues found during activation of fluid and mechanical systems
- Operate heavy machinery including forklifts and aerial platforms
- Work with a team of technician and engineers to ensure every system is built with the highest level of quality to support 100% successful launch of a multi-million dollar launch vehicle
- Provide daily support to the launch pad team
- Assist other technicians during launches with vehicle roll out, launch procedures, and post launch securing
- Assist technicians during post launch pad refurbishments and modifications
This is a temporary position with SpaceX, for the length of time as stated, and is subject to change with minimal notice as business needs dictate.
- LENGTH OF POSITION: 3 months
- LOCATION: Brownsville, TX
- SHIFT: Day shift and night shift
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of professional experience using power tools
- Experience in scaffold building and installation
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of experience in scaffold building and installation
- OSHA Construction 10
- NCCER certified
- Associate degree in aerospace technology or equivalent area of study
- Experience working at a rocket launch facility and supporting launch campaigns
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting complex fluid and mechanical systems
- Experience maintaining a propulsion test stand in the aerospace industry
- Military aviation experience as a propulsion or airframe technician
- Experience with orbital or structural welding
- Machining and metal fabrication experience
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office ( Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Experience with mechanical repairs and troubleshooting
- Experience with pneumatic/hydraulic system fabrication
- SpaceTEC certification
- Experience with engine and transmission rebuilds
- Familiarity with calibrated measuring instruments
- Experience using heavy equipment, including but not limited to, overhead cranes, forklifts and manlifts
- Commercial Driver’s license (CDL)
- Experience with car, truck and heavy industrial preventative maintenance
- Ability to read, understand and follow detailed schematics, drawings, and instructions
- Flight hardware is typically built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Ability to work at elevated heights (up to 300ft)
- Periodic work in extreme outdoor environments: heat, cold, wind, rain
- Work hours depend on site priorities and may require extended hours; flexibility required
- Ability to work day shift (6AM - 6PM) or night shift (6PM – 6AM)
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Launch Pad Technician/Level 1: $18.00/hour
Launch Pad Technician/Level 2: $23.00/hour
Launch Pad Technician/Level 3: $28.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for potential discretionary bonuses. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, and various other discounts and perks. You will also be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.