Sr. Database Reliability Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. DATABASE RELIABILITY ENGINEER
SpaceX is looking for an experienced Sr. Database Reliability Engineer with expert-level technical knowledge in Microsoft SQL and PowerBI technologies as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills. This employee will be in the IT Engineering organization and join a team of database administrators and engineers responsible for all database technologies used throughout SpaceX. The ideal candidate will be flexible, flourish in a fast-paced and challenging environment and have an insatiable desire to learn, solve complex problems and help others. They should be a self-starter, self-motivator, and possess ingenuity to excel at this position. This individual will need to demonstrate strong knowledge in Windows, server/storage infrastructure, and troubleshooting skills.
- Partner with internal customers to understand current challenges, plan/communicate improvements and anticipate future needs
- Perform root cause analysis of production-related database issues
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to optimize schemas, queries, and database/server configurations
- Develop code to automate routine tasks and provide end user self-service tools by leveraging PowerShell or a similar scripting language
- Engineer, deploy and maintain all aspects of Microsoft SQL database monitoring
- Quickly address critical support situations by providing effective solutions to database technical issues
- Manage PowerBI licensing, utilization, permissions and provide best-practices guidance and query optimization assistance for users
- Provide comprehensive and fully vetted backup and restore solutions
- Engineer, implement and routinely test Disaster Recovery (DR) strategies
- Develop and maintain strong documentation and support runbooks
- Support and foster the professional growth of other database engineering and administration staff via cross-training, coaching and responsibility sharing
- Participate in an on-call rotation
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or STEM discipline and 8+ years experience in IT OR 10+ years experience in IT in lieu of a degree
- 8+ years of professional experience monitoring and tuning databases
- 8+ years experience in optimizing SQL queries and data replication
- Proficient in SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2019, SQL Server 2022
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proficient in resiliency and high availability methods for SQL Server, such as SQL Server log shipping, availability groups, database mirroring and replication
- Expertise in scaling large critical databases with high expectations for uptime and performance
- Ability to work effectively and provide technical leadership in high-stress situations such as production database outages
- Knowledge of configuration management automation and limiting the amount of manual toil.
- Knowledge of data structure design and modeling
- Strong understanding of hardware in relation to SQL server; SAN, Virtualization, and basic networking for troubleshooting
- Good knowledge of development cycle to interface well with developers
- Strong attention to detail, high degree of accuracy, excellent oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Expertise in reporting options (SQL reports, PowerBI, etc.)
- Expertise in implementation for self-service job creation portals for SQL
- Strong understanding of big data and data warehouse concepts and technologies
- Ability to lead projects, present plans to leadership, account for business considerations (budget, ROI, etc.)
- Working knowledge of adjacent database technologies (Postgres, Mongo, Oracle, MySQL)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Database Reliability Engineer/Senior: $135,000.00 - $180,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?