Manufacturing Engineer (Falcon 9 Structures) - Weekend Shift
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (FALCON 9 STRUCTURES) - WEEKEND SHIFT
As a Manufacturing Engineer at SpaceX you will have the opportunity to utilize your knowledge, experience, and creativity to develop novel solutions at the cutting edge of space technology. You will work on launch vehicles and spacecraft that deliver satellites into earth orbit, ferry humans to and from the international space station, and ultimately extend humanity’s reach beyond the earth and moon. You will be a vital part of the relationship between our development and production teams. You will provide input into the design and development of new and existing hardware and take a lead role in manufacturing and integration on our current and next generation vehicles.
- Responsible for the build and inspection process for the structural assembly and integration of the Falcon launch vehicle
- Develop, qualify, and refine manufacturing processes to meet all design and business requirements including safety, quality, efficiency and delivery
- Collaborate with other engineers, subject matter experts, and technicians to solve large-scale production challenges
- Work with design engineers to evaluate designs for manufacturability and implementation in a rapidly evolving production environment
- Resolve product non-conformances and collaborate with the quality team to implement root cause corrective actions
- Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to meet volume production demand
- Develop and refine floor layouts, capacity models, and product flow analysis to ensure on-time vehicle delivery to manifest
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, manufacturing, aerospace, materials or industrial engineering
- 1+ years of engineering experience in manufacturing or production (internship and school projects experience qualifies)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in mechanical, manufacturing, aerospace, materials or industrial engineering
- Involvement in a professional engineering society or collegiate design project
- Experience with the build, assembly, or integration of large mechanical assemblies
- Knowledge of metallic manufacturing techniques, processes, and equipment related to welding, metal forming, fastening, drilling, bonding and automation
- Mechanical component and/or tooling design and analysis experience using 3D CAD software
- Experience with design for manufacture and assembly (DFMA)
- Experience transition complex products from R&D to high-volume manufacturing in a fast-paced environment
- Experience writing work instructions and procedures for critical aerospace parts
- Experience in a production environment within the aerospace industry
- Must be willing to work weekend shift (~Thursday - Sunday 6am - 6pm)
- Willing to work extended hours as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Manufacturing Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Manufacturing Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?