Software Engineer, Full Stack (Starshield)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
FULL STACK SOFTWARE ENGINEER (STARSHIELD)
Starshield leverages SpaceX’s Starlink technology and launch capability to support national security efforts. While Starlink is designed for consumer and commercial use, Starshield is designed for government use, with an initial focus on earth observation, communications, and hosted payloads. The team is building highly reliable in-space mesh networks, designing secure systems to guarantee access to space, designing next-gen communication and sensing software, and more. Aerospace experience is not required to be successful here - we want our engineers to bring fresh ideas from all areas.
As a Full Stack Software Engineer on the Starshield team, you will build components that enable efficient commanding of our constellation, while keeping pace with a growing number of assets and users. You will establish best practices for presenting and interacting with large volumes of data intuitively in the browser.
Our team is involved in designing the vehicle systems and their support services at every phase of development. We build tools that enable us to work more efficiently, and that help us build and deploy systems that are secure, reliable, and autonomous. Our engineers are responsible for the life cycle of the systems they create, including design trades, development, testing, and operational support.
- See your software through from start to finish: from figuring out the core needs to prototyping, developing, and testing; to on-orbit rollout and beyond
- Build ground-based services to support both machine-machine and browser-based scenarios
- Build a browser application with offline capability
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, data science, physics, mathematics, or a STEM discipline; OR 2+ years of professional experience in full stack software engineering in lieu of a degree
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with service workers and IndexedDB
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Built solutions with PostgreSQL, or similar relational database technologies
- Built solutions using Mapbox, WebGL, and DeckGL
- Experience improving software development lifecycle
- Expertise in profiling and improving application performance
- Active Top Secret, Top Secret SCI, OR ability and willingness to obtain a Top Secret clearance [is desired but not required]
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends when needed
- Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions. If so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Software Engineer/Level I: $120,000.00 - $145,000.00/per year
Software Engineer/Level II: $140,000.00 - $170,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?