Sr. RF/Microwave Engineer (Silicon Engineering)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. RF/MICROWAVE ENGINEER (SILICON ENGINEERING)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 1M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
The Starlink Silicon Team is seeking motivated, proactive, and intellectually curious engineers who can work with world-class cross-disciplinary teams (systems, firmware, architecture, design, validation, product engineering). In this role, you will develop RF/MW communication systems for deployment in space and ground infrastructures. The ideal candidate we are looking for will also be a hands-on self-starter.
- Simulate/model RF front-end systems, working with system architects, modem/DSP and ASIC engineers to partition functions between hardware and software domains
- Derive RF HW specifications for the RF system and RF blocks
- Develop RF/microwave circuits, components, MMICs, board and packages
- Evaluate and characterize prototypes and RF components
- Characterize and analyze full radio performance
- Assist in the development of automated test equipment for lab measurements
- Work with manufacturing engineers on production testing of RF avionics components and systems
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 6+ years of research and/or industry experience in RF/microwave circuit design
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD in an engineering discipline with emphasis in RF/microwave circuits or electromagnetic theory
- Experience with design of linear and non-linear circuits such as power amplifiers, low noise amplifiers, mixers, filters and PLLs
- Thorough understanding of RF passive components
- Familiar with radio related test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, vector signal analyzers, vector signal generator, network analyzers
- Experience characterizing radio performance at microwave frequencies
- Knowledge of digital communication systems, spread spectrum, single and multi-carrier techniques and modulation types such as QPSK, APSK and QAM
- RF/microwave design using ADS, HFSS, AWR or similar
- Understanding of electromagnetic propagation and antenna systems
- Schematic and layout using Altium Designer or other PCB design tool
- Experience in Matlab, Python, C++ or equivalent tools for modeling and analyzing RF systems
- Python and/or LabVIEW programming experience for test automation
- Digital communication theory with emphasis on bit error rate and system noise figure
- RF/microwave design in the Ku, Ka, V and E-band frequency range
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
RF/Microwave Engineer/Senior: $160,000.00 - $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?