SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The Facilities Manager is an important role and directly impacts the foundation of our Starship production and launch sites. This position will help to ensure that we keep facility maintenance costs low, vendors competitive and efficient, and find better ways to enhance our image to customers, visitors, and VIPs. Our facility care is a direct reflection of our values and the impact is immense. This position will provide leadership and direction for construction and maintenance across the Starship production sites.
- Lead a team of engineers and technicians who are responsible for all industrial operations (mechanical, electrical, plumbing, janitorial, civil, landscaping, automotive, and general maintenance) at the SpaceX Starship facility to ensure zero unplanned interruptions of services to the employees and customers
- Develop, plan and execute site expansion and improvement projects in accordance with overall business objectives and strategy
- Communicate effectively with leadership and executive staff regarding planned projects and provide regular updates
- Manage the maintenance, repair, and installation of all launch and mission support related infrastructure: buildings, HVAC equipment, high power electrical systems, water infrastructure, and grounds
- Develop and administer an effective and efficient periodic maintenance program for launch and support facilities
- Monitor and direct all construction projects being performed at the facility to ensure that the work is being performed correctly, on-budget, on-time, and with minimal interruption to the surrounding projects and staff
- Manage third-party service providers, such as janitorial, to ensure services are meeting corporate standards and terms of contract
- Bachelor’s degree in construction or engineering
- 5+ years of professional experience with facilities engineering or project management
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications such as Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint
- Experience managing budgets for industrial facility construction projects
- Experience working with LN2, compressed air and other hazardous materials
- Experience managing third-party vendors
- Experience negotiating contracts and comparing service costs to achieve maximum value
- Experience with asset management software
- Knowledge of building management and automated facilities monitoring systems and processes, such as: HVAC systems, fluid plumbing systems, fire suppression systems, generators, or fuel storage systems
- Previous experience with industrial project management and scheduling software
- Design experience in a technical field
- Basic proficiency with AutoCAD
- Knowledge of processes of jurisdictional permitting and/or environmental agencies
- Understanding of multiple disciplines such as civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, piping, geotechnical, and surveying
- Experience with project management of major construction projects including estimating, cost control, schedule, and contractor management
- Experience reading, reviewing, and approving shop and fabrication drawings, blueprints, and technical manuals
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while maintaining a high sense of urgency in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Ability to work independently and in a team, take initiative, and communicate effectively
- Ability to anticipate needs and develop innovative solutions for continuous improvement
- Ability to work at elevated heights (200+ feet)
- Physical effort with lifting and carrying materials or equipment (up to 25 lbs.)
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends when needed based on site operational needs; flexibility required
- Valid driver’s license
- Occasional travel may be required to support vehicle operations at production and launch sites
- Provide 24/7 on-call support of all critical activities and emergency situations
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Facilities/Manager: $130,000.00 - $180,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.