Support Technician - Temporary
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SUPPORT TECHNICIAN (STARSHIP) – TEMPORARY
- Work with management, engineers, leads, welders, fabrication and maintenance personnel along with contractors to setup areas conducting hot work/confined space entry to ensure the safety of facility, equipment and personnel
- Monitor and observe hot work/confined space entry as it is being conducted, and afterwards, to identify and recognize hazardous conditions as early as possible, and mitigate the hazards and conditions in accordance with incident management best practices and SpaceX policies
- Recognize hazards and initiate protective action. If necessary, ensure the evacuation of all personnel in the event of a fire
- Check in-out daily equipment and tools to all site members
- Keeping all non-essential personnel clear of all areas conducting hot work
- Work with Environmental Health and Safety in conducting SpaceX hot work/confined space procedure
- Understand and operate fire alarms, suppression systems, and operate the various type of fire extinguishers
This is a temporary position with SpaceX, for the length of time as stated, and is subject to change with minimal notice as business needs dictate
- LENGTH OF POSITION: 3 months
- LOCATION: Brownsville, TX
- SHIFT: Day shift and night shift; Alternate work schedule, 4 days and 3 days off then 3 days on and 4 days off
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Experience supporting operations in a production, manufacturing, or construction environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- OSHA-certified Fire Prevention Safety Training
- 1+ years of experience working with fire detection systems
- Ability to identify and implement efficient paths of action to finish the assigned work
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
- Previous knowledge and/or understanding of codes, rules, regulations and standards of electrical and mechanical equipment
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals and reports
- Ability to use precision measuring instruments
- An understanding of hot work generating processes including cutting, grinding, welding etc. and the hazards associated with these processes
- A basic understanding of flammable and combustible materials
- This position requires working up to 12 hours a day, 4 days and 3 days off then 3 days on and 4 days off
- Must be available for overtime and weekends as the schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility is required
- Ability to work multiple shifts and change shifts with minimal notice
- Ability to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum
- Ability to lift heavy objects (up to 25 lbs.) unassisted
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Must be able to work at elevated heights (up to 300 feet), including the use of ladders
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Level 1: $18.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for potential discretionary bonuses. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, and various other discounts and perks. You will also be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.