Manager, Machining Operations
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANAGER, MACHINING OPERATIONS
- Lead and manage a team of multi-skilled Engineers, Programmers, Machinists, Inspectors, and Technicians for Starlink machining operations
- Regularly drive improvements with engineering and operations to improve manufacturability, cycle times, cost, and quality
- Accurately forecast business needs in terms of headcount, operational expenses, and capital, and implement plans to deliver to program targets
- Set priorities for the team based on strengths and maximizing output; delegate and manage team bandwidth to achieve successful tasks and projects
- Coordinate with the greater Starlink team to ensure the machine shop’s focus correctly prioritizes projects that are the most impactful to Starlink success
- Meet tight schedules to achieve high output for production and engineering, while adapting to changing priorities in a fast-moving environment
- Think creatively, question the status quo while following documentation and maintaining prescribed quality standards
- Implement machine maintenance schedules and back-up spares availability to ensure uptime and output performance
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or 4+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- 3+ years direct people leadership experience in a development or production machining environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 8+ years leadership experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience operating 3-, 4-, and 5-axis mill machines and lathes with live tooling
- Programming experience with MasterCam, NX, or similar software
- Precision inspection experience including CMM using PC-DMIS software and hand tools such as micrometers, calipers, profilometers, and borescopes
- Experience with interdisciplinary project management
- Travel to vendor sites may be required
- Travel to launch and test sites may be required
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Manager, Machining: $130,000.00 - $180,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.