Operations Engineer, Supply Chain (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today, SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
OPERATIONS ENGINEER, SUPPLY CHAIN (STARLINK)
One of the most ambitious missions that SpaceX has undertaken to date, the Starlink network is our solution to providing reliable internet to the entire world. We are looking for a talented engineer to help design processes and systems for a factory that will output millions of user terminals (a SpaceX designed and manufactured product that consumers will have in their homes to access our network).
To capitalize on our technical and market success, our team will execute large-scale projects that will define the bottom-line for the company. The Materials Management organization is a function within Supply Chain responsible for inbound receiving, material movement, inbound/outbound shipping, inventory management and production/engineering kitting. As SpaceX becomes the overall market leader, Materials Management provides the business with the support and high customer service levels needed to meet company goals.
- Define new business processes and systems for high volume production, including manufacturing execution, nonconforming hardware management, configuration management, material traceability, process control, product fulfillment, maintenance, and other critical business/materials systems
- Develop business use cases and software requirements for improvements to our Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Manufacturing Execution System (MES) software
- Implement data acquisition and reporting for production and quality metrics, as well as environmental, testing, and safety controls
- Act as subject matter expert in multiple Starlink materials processes and systems, enabling complex data gathering, troubleshooting, and problem solving
- Develop, review, and approve procedures ensuring completeness, accuracy, regulatory and customer compliance, and quality objectives
- Develop and execute training and communication plans during major process changes
- Collaborate across disciplines including engineering, production, test, inventory, supply chain, customer experience, and management to ensure efficiency and consistency across the organization
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, software, industrial, or other engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience in manufacturing or industrial project management (collegiate extracurricular engineering projects such as lab projects, Formula SAE, Baja SAE, Design Build Fly team, competitions, or internships qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of experience as an engineer in high volume manufacturing, supply chain, or industrial project management
- High volume inventory/warehouse experience (consumer goods, automotive)
- Competency with SQL databases and ability to write SQL queries
- Experience developing custom software, ERP/MES systems, and dashboards
- Experience with web-based Python applications (Flask/Django)
- Understanding of lean engineering and Six Sigma concepts and their application
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience analyzing large datasets and communicating conclusions
- Experience supporting production of complex electro-mechanical systems in high volume work centers and/or during production ramp-up
- Ability to identify customer needs, gather requirements, and execute independently
- Creative approach to problem solving and exceptional analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements
- Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends when needed to meet major milestones
- Must be able to travel (up to 15%) may be required to other SpaceX facilities
- This position is based in Hawthorne, CA and requires being onsite - remote work not considered
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Operations Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Operations Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.