Electrical Design Engineer, Avionics
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ELECTRICAL DESIGN ENGINEER, AVIONICS
As an Electrical Engineer within Core Avionics, you will have the unique opportunity to explore all areas of a product’s life cycle from development through production and launch by engaging in multiple disciplines with a focus on electronic design, reliability, and manufacturing. You will be expected to analyze and troubleshoot electronic assemblies, define new processes, design circuits/fixtures/tools, and identify opportunities for improvement in both products and processes. You will have the opportunity to own a wide variety of components that enable SpaceX vehicles to provide the safest and most reliable access to space. Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with it comes an extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of the crew and payload.
- Develop high reliability spacecraft electronics for various launch vehicles
- Support or act as responsible engineer for flight hardware, from conception through build, qualification, and ultimately flight operations
- Perform component selection, design analysis, schematic capture, prototyping, bring-up, debugging, circuit validation, and design documentation for electrical designs
- Assist with electrical architecture, product requirements, manufacturing planning, and production test
- Execute development and qualification testing campaigns to exercise designs to their limits and ensure reliable flight hardware
- Work with experts from other teams and departments to ensure that fielded systems perform their function while being efficient, manufacturable, and reliable; challenge assumptions and build strong professional relationships
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- 1+ years of experience designing, building, or testing circuit boards or other electronics (research and extracurricular academic projects qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Experience with system trades and first-hand knowledge of how requirements tie hardware to larger systems
- Experience designing signal conditioning and analog circuits, digital circuits, and switching power converters
- Experience with schematic capture and board layout, preferably in Altium or Circuit Maker
- Familiarity with circuit simulation tools and analysis methods
- Familiarity with lab equipment for development testing of circuits and components
- Capable of board level rework in support of development testing
- Basic first principles understanding of EMI/EMC and common best practices for design
- Familiarity with design-for-manufacture and design-for-cost
- Capable of writing software for test automation, data review, and design analysis, preferably in MATLAB or Python
- Basic project management skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate with other engineering disciplines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Electrical Engineer/Level I: $100,000.00 - $120,000.00/per year
Electrical Engineer/Level II: $115,000.00 - $135,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.