Sr. Aviation Development Engineer (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SENIOR AVIATION DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER (STARLINK)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 1M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
Starlink believes in providing fast, reliable internet to serve populations with lit Starlink is developing high-speed internet for commercial and private aircraft. As a Senior Development Engineer, you will be responsible for driving projects with SpaceX partners in the Aviation industry. You will own the process, milestones, and documentation needed to accelerate Starlink for flight and will work closely with design and manufacturing teams to ensure high quality results throughout the project lifecycle.
- Responsible for ensuring integration work with SpaceX partners meets customer requirements
- Act as the technical point of contact for all engineering and integration issues relating to the projects you are driving
- Support commercialization efforts by ensuring that partner agreements are aligned with SpaceX business and technical objectives and that partners are able to maximize their efforts with SpaceX products
- Work across multiple disciplines including cybersecurity, maintenance, flight crew and cabin workers, digital experience teams and engineering to ensure all parties have timely access to critical data, manuals, project schedules and technical notices relating to SpaceX’s products
- Produce deliverables on a tight timeline that incorporate partner input and deliverables
- Manage multiple concurrent projects and provide regular updates on schedule and deliverables to senior management
- Act as the subject matter expert on the SpaceX Aviation Integration process and create alignment across all partners
- Work across all stakeholders to ensure feedback is incorporated into project schedules and statement of work
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering, math, or physics discipline
- 5+ years of experience in mechanical or electrical product design, testing, or manufacturing (internship or extracurricular experience is applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of experience with industry certification and regulatory compliance
- Experience with commissioning and testing, writing and executing integration plans
- Previous technical ownership of a complex project involving numerous stakeholders from conception to customer acceptance
- Demonstrated ability to produce documentation deliverables on a tight timeline
- Extremely strong proficiency with Microsoft Word as a tool to produce and manage large documents
- Experience generating schematics, diagrams, and data visualizations that clearly communicate design intent of systems, tests or analysis
- Hardware ownership for mechanical or electrical systems through entire lifecycle (design, qualification, manufacturing, and launch)
- Understanding of failure modes of complex mechanical and electrical systems
- Extremely strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary to support critical milestones
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.