Environmental Health & Safety Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY ENGINEER
The EHS Engineer will support Launch Operations at SpaceX’s launch facility located on Vandenberg Air Force Base. This position is critical as the operation will rely on an EHS subject matter expert to mitigate occupational and compliance risk as they strive to meet an aggressive launch cadence and stretch the capabilities of existing processes to meet their goals. As an EHS Engineer, you will perform hazard assessments, incident investigations, work through employees’ safety concerns and issues, as well as strategize with site leaders to prevent/reduce injuries. In addition, you will ensure environmental compliance with all local, state, and federal regulatory requirements applicable to these departments.
- Develop and maintain compliance with all applicable regulations and/or guidelines established by Cal-OSHA, Federal OSHA, NFPA, NIOSH and Vandenberg Air Force Base
- Collaborate with department leadership to complete job hazard assessments and implement health and safety policies and procedures
- Participate in both pre and post launch site hazardous operations
- Monitor employee exposure to physical and chemical hazards, and develop recommendations for remedial actions when safety policies are not met by employees
- Inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment in order to identify and correct potential hazards, and implement machine guarding when needed
- Complete and maintain documented safety observations from regular hazard identification audits
- Investigate industrial accidents, injuries, or occupational diseases to determine root causes, corrective actions and preventive measures
- Develop and maintain compliance with all applicable regulations established by the EPA, CUPA, SBAQMD, RWQCB, CEQA and NEPA, and perform due diligence audits when needed
- Review and interpret new and proposed environmental laws and regulations, and provide guidance to management
- Maintain recordkeeping and compliance requirements established for permitted sources defined by the local SCAQMD
- Responsible for hazardous and non-hazardous waste management
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of experience in the design, development, and/or general operational oversight of environmental, health, and safety disciplines
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering with an emphasis in occupational health and safety and/or environmental engineering
- Experience in both environmental and safety fields
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Familiarity with confined space entry, fall protection, and industrial hygiene programs
- Experience with interpreting, applying, and documenting federal, state, and local safety and environmental regulations such as the SCAQMD
- Experience with emergency response communication and incident management in incidents involving hazardous and nonhazardous material releases to air, soil, and water
- Intermediate Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook)
- Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Vandenberg
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Environmental Health & Safety Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Environmental Health & Safety Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.