Structures Design Engineer (Dragon)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
STRUCTURES DESIGN ENGINEER (DRAGON)
As a Structures Design Engineer you will be a contributor to the successful flights of the Dragon 2 Crew and Cargo spacecraft. You will have the opportunity to work with your team to advance humankind’s reach in the universe, challenging the status quo.
- Generate conceptual design layouts for new hardware for upgrades and new mission types using CAD
- Generate detailed production drawings using GD&T and performing a tolerance stackup analysis
- Interface with vendor on in-house fabrication and assembly teams during design and prototype hardware builds. Incorporate any producibility lessons learned by design change and drawing revision
- Design and test composite structures, machined components and propulsion fluid systems
- Update drawings to support manufacturing
- Responsible for configuration management at the system or subsystem level
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of mechanical design and drafting experience (including internships or personal projects)
- Experience with 3D CAD software (e.g. Unigraphics, Solidworks, etc.)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T
- Hands-on experience working in project teams
- Ability to manage large assembly models and drawings
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Ability to travel to remote sites in Texas, Florida, and Central California as needed
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Structures Design Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Structures Design Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.