Sr. Manufacturing Engineer (Merlin) - 2nd Shift
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (MERLIN) – 2ND SHIFT
As a Sr. Manufacturing Engineer at SpaceX, you will have the opportunity to utilize your knowledge, experience, and creativity to develop, manage and own novel solutions at the cutting edge of space technology. You will work on hardware that will deliver satellites into earth orbit, ferry humans to and from the international space station, and ultimately extend humanity’s reach beyond Earth and the moon. You will own the relationship between our production and design engineering teams. You will provide input into the design and development of new and existing hardware and take a lead role in developing manufacturing and test processes on our current and next generation vehicles.
- Own and manage Merlin turbopump and injector assemblies manufacturing processes for in-house production, which includes manufacturing processes such as machining, electron beam & TIG welding, pressure testing, precision cleaning, non-destructive testing, heat treat, and assembly
- Analyze and disposition recurring manufacturing discrepancies and lead multi-disciplinary teams on root cause analysis and corrective actions
- Develop new and evaluate existing manufacturing processes and equipment to reduce non-conformance frequency/severity and reduce operating costs
- Provide subject matter expertise on multiple manufacturing processes and products, including peer mentoring and development of teammates
- Identify and execute design-for-manufacturability improvements which have system-wide improvements to the department
- Communicate on a daily basis with supporting departments such as production, machining, maintenance, quality, and design engineering to ensure that product is delivered on time to the correct quantities
- Scope out new manufacturing technologies that may be employed to improve rate, quality, and efficiency
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience in one of more of the following areas: manufacturing engineering, accelerated testing, design for reliability, or testing of welded assemblies (school and project experience will qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with aerospace welding systems (e.g. electron beam, TIG, friction stir)
- Experience with non-destructive testing/non-destructive evaluation (e.g. fluorescent penetrant inspection, radiography, etc.)
- Experience with metallurgical evaluation and testing
- Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) experience
- CAD experience (NX & Teamcenter a plus)
- Tooling design experience
- Design for manufacturability and assembly experience
- Experience with capacity modeling, process mapping, and fault analysis
- Experience with Lean Six Sigma or equivalent high-performance culture systems
- Pareto analysis, root cause, and corrective action experience
- Must be available for 2nd shift (Monday – Friday, 3:30 PM – 2:00 AM)
- Willing to work extended hours as business needs dictate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Sr. Manufacturing Engineer: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.