Sr. Test Engineer, Spacecraft Integration (Dragon Maintenance)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. TEST ENGINEER, SPACECRAFT INTEGRATION (DRAGON MAINTENANCE)
- Develop and manage test requirements and procedures for integrated testing of both Crew and Cargo Dragon flight hardware and subsystems during teardown, maintenance and pre-flight processing
- Develop novel test solutions for Dragon subsystems
- Be a Dragon vehicle controller and test conductor during Dragon integrated system tests
- Evaluate flight vehicle requirements and work scope definition for capsule refurbishment campaigns, including evaluation of change, risk, and previous as built conditions
- Manage projects driving change in how we test and process Dragon during production and refurbishment
- Manage multiple electrical and mechanical facility improvement projects, prioritizing highest return on investment projects and how to effectively communicate those returns
- Design and develop software tools to enable and optimize test operations and vehicle processing
- Work with and improve unique SpaceX application software to develop automated solutions to test processing, requirements management, test campaign management, and data reviews
- Lead collaboration projects with test and responsible engineers to resolve technical problems, integrate new processes and hardware, and continuously improve upon automated testing tools
- Troubleshoot vehicle or test equipment failures to root cause and create resolution disposition and planning
- Lead communication of test priorities, including personnel safety, vehicle safety, and schedule when coordinating with other teams
- Provide technical guidance on and lead efforts with achieving long term department and program-wide goals
- Be a mentor to junior engineers and a resident subject matter expert for the team
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, or other engineering discipline/physics
- 5+ years of experience with hardware development, manufacturing, or test engineering
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience developing object oriented software in Python
- Demonstrated project or professional experience in launch vehicle and/or spacecraft systems
- Understanding and experience in environmental testing such as vibration, shock, thermal, burn-in, and TVAC
- Experience working on spacecraft or launch vehicles
- Experience working with high pressure and electrical systems
- Experience in writing test plans and test procedures
- Experience interacting with CAD software and large CAD models
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Test Engineer/Senior: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.