Environmental Health & Safety Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY ENGINEER
- Develop and maintain compliance with all applicable regulations and/or guidelines established by OSHA, NFPA and NIOSH and other applicable regulatory agencies
- Collaborate with department leadership to complete job hazard assessments and implement health and safety policies and procedures
- Monitor employee exposure to physical and chemical hazards
- Understand and implement machine guarding where needed
- Develop recommendations for remedial actions when safety policies are not met by employees
- Inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment in order to identify and correct potential hazards and ensure compliance with all applicable regulations
- Complete and maintain documented safety observations from regular hazard identification audits
- Investigate industrial accidents, injuries, or occupational diseases to determine root causes, corrective actions and preventive measures
- Develop, implement and maintain safety contingency plans (fires, spills, etc.)
- Develop and maintain compliance with all applicable regulations established by the EPA, CERCLA, RCRA, DOT, TCEQ, TRRC, RWQCB, NEPA and other applicable regulatory agencies
- Review and interpret new and proposed environmental laws and regulations, and provide guidance to management
- Perform environmental compliance and due diligence audits to ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies
- Conduct and monitor the NPDES and other discharge permits/plans
- Maintain recordkeeping and compliance requirements established for permitted sources defined by the local AQMD.
- Responsible for hazardous and non-hazardous waste management, including DOT and RCRA
- Maintain compliance with the Certified Unified Program Agency
- Bachelor's degree
- 3+ years of experience in the design, development and operational oversight of environmental, health and safety disciplines
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering with an emphasis in occupational health and safety and/or environmental engineering
- Experience in both environmental and safety fields
- Experience with implementing and maintaining compliance with storm water regulations
- Experience with implementing and maintaining compliance with the TCEQ regulations
- Strong knowledge and experience in interpreting, applying and documenting federal, state and local safety and environmental regulations
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Familiarity and implementation of machine guarding and industrial hygiene programs
- Experience with emergency response communication and incident management in incidents involving hazardous and non-hazardous material releases to air, soil, and water
- Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Environmental Health & Safety Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Environmental Health & Safety Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.