Sr. Mechanical Engineer, Consumer Hardware (Starlink)
SR. MECHANICAL ENGINEER, CONSUMER HARDWARE (STARLINK)
Starlink Mechanical Engineers in our Hawthorne and Bastrop facilities are hyper-focused on the high-volume consumer products that we ship directly to customers all over the world. We design this hardware to be both technically sophisticated and easy to use. Our customers currently include teachers in the most remote parts of the Amazon, researchers in Antarctica, digital nomads that travel via RV, emergency responders, commercial airlines, cruise lines, and residential users that live in more rural or developing areas. As a member of this team, you will lead creative, multi-disciplinary projects that include designing both the consumer products themselves and the factories that manufacture them, ushering in the next era of internet and delivering internet to those that need it most.
- Own Starlink consumer hardware from conceptual design through high volume production and public launch
- Develop design criteria, collaborate on requirements, and drive system-level optimization
- Test and iterate on products to enable high field reliability and performance in all environments and use cases
- Design and develop the production lines that manufacture your product, including robot end effector design, process development, control system design, automation programming, and more
- Refine the production system to create high-rate, high-yield, and reliable processes
- Establish an efficient product lifecycle starting in the supply chain all the way through final integration that balances cost, complexity, and quality; work closely with partner teams to design and realize an efficient in-house production line
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with CAD and FEA software packages
- 5+ years of experience with mechanical/electromechanical design, analysis, testing, and/or manufacturing
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in engineering or a related technical discipline
- 3+ years of professional experience in mechanical design and analysis
- 2+ years of hands-on project experience with complex mechanical systems, preferably as a team lead
- Proficient in 3D CAD (NX preferred)
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T, mechanical engineering fundamentals, structural analysis, and failure modes of complex mechanical systems
- Prior ownership of a complex component or assembly from initial design through high-volume production ramp
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes and how to design for manufacturability
- Exposure to some variety of production machinery, industrial sensors, and equipment (motion systems, dispense systems, temperature controllers, laser distance sensors, injection molders, die casters, etc.)
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills
Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary to support critical milestones
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.