Propulsion Engineer, Machining (Raptor)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PROPULSION ENGINEER, MACHINING (RAPTOR)
As a propulsion engineer for Raptor machining, you will have the opportunity to influence, scale and solve challenging problems relating to the production of raptor parts and processing. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment with ever changing scope and focus areas. This individual understands how to best design for manufacturing and will conceptualize / implement full scale production processes for machining our critical hardware within production rate and cost goals.
- Identify, develop and implement machining processes to help solve for engine cost, quality and production rate – specifically focused on valve, turbopump, thrust chamber, or injector hardware
- Work between manufacturing and design engineers, machinists, technicians, and quality personnel to ensure processes are robust and any production problems are quickly solved
- Partner with design to identify and implement design for manufacturing (DFM) updates at both the piece part and system level
- Implement machining process controls that allow parts to run ‘lights out’. Leverage latest technologies and programming strategies to reduce in-cycle intervention.
- Take responsibility for part/part family quality - Expected to understand quality landscape and drive projects to ensure dimensions meet part requirements with low overhead
- Drive machining processes toward statistically controlled (SPC) environment. Develop and implement tools needed to show capability
- Responsible for full circle machining process from fixture design and manufacturing, CAM programming and program refinement, cutting tool selection and buyoff / inspection methodologies
- Regularly challenge each process, part, operation to create the most manufacturable, reliable engine hardware possible
- Work with production to ensure hardware you are responsible for is delivered on time or ahead of schedule
- Oversee introduction and implementation of new products and products revisions, frequently multiple at a given time
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Aerospace Engineering
- 1+ years of experience, specifically focused in CNC Machining (project or internship experience qualifies)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of experience with at least 1x CAM programming platform
- Knowledge of multiple machining related techniques such as but not limited to; milling, turning, grinding, CNC programming, and inspection methods
- Component and/or tooling design and analysis (3D computer-aided design)
- Experience writing work instructions and procedures for critical aerospace parts
- Experience in a production environment within the aerospace industry
- 2+ years of experience specifically focused on high precision machined components
- 1+ year of experience with process development from R&D to volume manufacturing
- 1+ year of experience designing workholding and machining cast or additively manufactured parts
- This is a hands-on position that will require standing for long durations of your day and working directly with hardware on the floor
- Must be comfortable stooping, bending, and standing
- Position may require occasional travel, long hours or weekend work
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Propulsion Engineer/Level 1: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Propulsion Engineer/Level 2: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.