Space Lasers Engineer, Manufacturing (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SPACE LASERS ENGINEER, MANUFACTURING (STARLINK)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 1M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
We’re at the forefront of satellite optical communication technology as we enable our Starlink constellation to deliver efficient, reliable, and cost-effective internet access around the world. As a member of the Space Lasers team, you’ll incorporate lasers into the broader SpaceX satellite ecosystem; develop tests to verify their performance and debug laser operations on-orbit. You’ll collaborate with other teams to represent laser communication constraints as a stakeholder in network, satellite, and software decisions.
- Design and implement tests to verify optical, mechanical and electrical acceptability of space laser hardware
- Validate space laser hardware and software performance for laser mesh networks
- Lead failure investigations and drive changes to improve reliability and/or production rate
- Review test data and lead anomaly investigation and resolution
- Collaborate with software teams to guide development of flight software for efficient ground and on-orbit laser operations
- Implement automation for on-orbit laser operation
- Bachelor's degree in physics or an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience programming in Python or other object-oriented language (internship and extracurricular experience is applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in physics or an engineering discipline
- Industry experience using Python (or similar language) to implement tests, automation, analysis, or data review
- Experience with integration and test of spacecraft or spacecraft components
- Experience operating spacecraft on-orbit
- Ability to assess risk and make design and development decisions without all available data
- Experience working hands-on with flight hardware and flight spacecraft
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Competence with Python scripting and a Linux operating system environment
- Competence with optical test equipment (power meters, interferometer, laser sources)
- Knowledge of and experience with lasers, photodiodes, fiber optics, optics testing/troubleshooting techniques, and signal integrity principles
- Knowledge of and experience in free-space optical principles, optical component testing and alignment techniques
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and delivering global internet access
- Strong work ethic and drive to succeed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work extended hours or weekends as needed for mission critical deadlines
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Space Lasers Engineer, Manufacturing/Level I: $100,000.00 - $120,000.00/per year
Space Lasers Engineer, Manufacturing/Level II: $115,000.00 - $135,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.