Application Software Engineer, Data
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
APPLICATION SOFTWARE ENGINEER, DATA
The application software team is the central nervous system of SpaceX – we create mission critical applications that are used throughout SpaceX to accelerate launch vehicle production and flight as well as systems that allow Starlink to grow into a worldwide fast, reliable Internet service.
Our team is creating systems to ingest and store concurrent streams of data from many always-on assets to manage the world’s largest satellite constellation, reusable rockets, and Dragon spacecraft. Other applications range from platforms that enable rapid build and reuse of Starship, designing the next generation manufacturing software that will be used in high throughput factories for Starlink, and public facing systems where customers can join our Starlink network globally.
We work closely with engineers throughout the company to create and update our systems with respect to crewed launches, Starship flights, changes to the Starlink network and much more.
Aerospace experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving problems and want to make an impact on a super inspiring mission. You will have full ownership of challenging problems, working with a team of enthusiastic engineers to design and produce solutions that enable SpaceX to move towards our goals at a rapid pace. The success of the missions at SpaceX depends on the software that you and your team produce.
- Develop highly reliable and scalable data pipelines to empower engineers across SpaceX
- Create new applications that improve how the business at SpaceX operates
- Collaborate with peers on architecture, design, and code reviews
- Build prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints
- Own all aspects of software engineering and product development
- Deep dive into business problems, find efficient solutions and apply first principles thinking
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, data science, engineering, math, physics, or scientific discipline; OR 2+ years of professional experience building software in lieu of a degree
- Experience in full stack development, software engineering, data engineering, or data science
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Programming experience in Python, C#, Java, Scala, Go or similar languages
- Experience working with in-stream, big data processing and analytics using Apache Kafka, Spark, Flink, SQL or similar
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases, data lakes e.g. HBase, Hive, Delta Lake, PostgreSQL, CockroachDB or similar
- Experience with data exploration tools like Grafana, Jupyter Notebooks, Metabase, PowerBI or similar
- Good understanding of version control, testing, continuous integration, build, deployment and monitoring
- Good understanding of statistics, machine learning algorithms and frameworks
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends when needed
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.