Mechanical Engineer, Launch Hardware Engineering
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER, LAUNCH HARDWARE ENGINEERING
As a member of the Launch Hardware team you will work with a group of engineers across multiple disciplines to design, build, activate the production tools, launch pads, and recovery systems for Starship, Falcon, and Dragon.
- Design and analyze mechanical systems for launch pads, recovery, and production tooling
- Demonstrate complete end to end project ownership, coordinate the build, testing and activation of the hardware you design
- Work closely with launch operations teams and their leadership to ensure the products we deliver meet form, function, and aesthetic expectations
- Use your well-rounded technical knowledge to display proficiency in basic structural sizing, mechanisms, and design while making development decisions based on cost and schedule considerations
- Present cost and schedule trade proposals to leadership
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of professional experience using NX, CATIA, Creo, or Solidworks design software package or 1+ years of experience using ANSYS, ABAQUS, or FEMAP software
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1+ years of experience in a professional setting designing, analyzing, or building mechanical structures
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering
- Project management experience in the aerospace, industrial, or power generation industry
- Strong understanding and demonstrated application of GD&T
- Ability to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Passion for hands on work when needed to enable project completion
- Skilled in reading and interpreting engineering drawings, parts lists, and specification
- Proactive, self-starter attitude and ability to lead projects throughout their entirety
- Willing to travel to other SpaceX locations as necessary
- Work schedule may vary depending on site operational needs, and flexibility is required
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Mechanical Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Mechanical Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.