Supplier Development Engineer, Power Electronics (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SUPPLIER DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER, POWER ELECTRONICS (STARLINK)
SpaceX is leveraging its experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 2M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact. As we continue to upgrade and expand the constellation, we’re looking for best-in-class engineers to join the team.
On Starlink’s consumer product team, you’ll have complete ownership over the development of millions of consumer-facing devices that we ship directly to customers or install on planes, ships, or other mobile vehicles (Starlink dishes/user terminals, Wi-Fi routers, etc.).
- Manage the development, design, quality, testing, and on-time delivery highly reliable power supply modules and/or power PCBAs for networking and satellite communication equipment
- Partner with electrical, thermal, manufacturing, and production teams to enable the development of power supplies for Starlink products
- Dive deep into and analyze requirements, component selection, schematic analysis and optimization, prototype development, and documentation, manufacturing, and test of complex power electronic designs
- Work closely with engineering from adjacent disciplines to deliver, implement and improve cutting-edge manufacturing systems, with continuous aim on automation and high volume production
- Drive continuous improvements through data collection, analysis, and identifying manufacturing/production data trends
- Challenge assumptions and work to find simple solutions to complex problems
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- 1+ years of experience designing power circuits, and power conversion electronics (AC-DC, DC-DC) hardware (internship and project team experience is applicable)
- 1+ years experience managing contract manufacturing suppliers of power electronics at high production volumes, maintaining highest level of Quality and field reliability
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering or similar engineering degree
- 2+ years of professional experience delivering highly reliable products
- 2+ years of electronic product experience designing hardware from concept through production; strong emphasis on full life cycle development of new hardware products
- 2+ years of professional experience testing, troubleshooting, and debugging power electronics
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends when needed to hit critical deadlines
- Ability to travel: Up to 25-60% of work week
- Valid driver’s license
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Supplier Development Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Supplier Development Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.