Barista - Temporary
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
BARISTA - TEMPORARY POSITION
The Starbase Hospitality team serves all employees, customers, government partners, potential clients and/or visitors with everything from snacks to daily meals to full service events. The Barista role is a position for individuals who have superior experience working with coffee, espresso, and tea. The current position is best suited for those with several years of barista experience who possess hands on knowledge of espresso drink preparation, coffee tasting, and general coffee bar operations. Supporting knowledge of food operations and culinary arts is preferred. The Barista supports the mission of SpaceX by providing excellent customer service and quality beverage options that boost morale and productivity within SpaceX.
- Exercise strong customer service and communication skills
- Assist with catering/event requests
- Assist in the organization and cleanliness of dining, work and storage areas
- Adhere to proper safety guidelines
- Adhere to proper food safety practices
- Interact in a professional manner with guests, supervisors, and co-workers
- Completes opening and closing lists
- Works with urgency to complete tasks
- Communicate menu changes as necessary
- Prepare a variety of coffee style beverage and food products
- Operate espresso machines with a high degree of proficiency
This is a TEMPORARY position with SpaceX, for the length of time as stated, and is subject to change with minimal notice as business needs dictate.
- LENGTH OF POSITION: 6 months (permanent hire conversion based on performance and business need)
- LOCATION: Starbase, TX
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of barista experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of barista experience
- Self-motivated and takes initiative in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Previous work experience in a high-volume output environment
- Previous work experience in team settings
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Effective time management skills
- Effective understanding of food safety and sanitation practices
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office and Outlook primarily)
- Knowledge of barista equipment, tools and supplies
- Adaptability, problem-solving skills, and extreme attention to detail
- Team player with the ability to collaborate effectively, including but not limited to training of incoming team members
- Ability to work gracefully under pressure
- Ability to carry large heavy items unassisted (up to 25lbs)
- Ability to perform frequent bending, stooping, and lifting of objects
- Ability to stand for long periods of time – up to 10 hours a day
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime, weekends and holiday as needed
- Valid Texas Food Handler Certification or willingness to obtain before employment
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Barista/Level 1: $18.50/hour
Barista/Level 2: $19.50/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for potential discretionary bonuses. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, and various other discounts and perks. You will also be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.