Aerodynamics Engineer (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AERODYNAMICS ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
The Starship Aerodynamics team is responsible for predicting the aerodynamics and aerothermal environments booster and ship experience during all phases of their missions. Aerodynamics engineers use engineering models, simulations and wind-tunnel testing in order to provide the most accurate predictions ahead of flight validation. The team works closely with the GNC (guidance, navigation, and control) team in order to enable them to safely land and recover both Starship stages once their mission is accomplished. Moreover the team supports engineers responsible for vehicle structures during their design efforts. Aerodynamics engineers are expected to have a clear understanding of the flow fields experienced by our vehicles through the various flight regimes, from subsonic through hypersonic, and apply this understanding while they operate our prediction tools.
- Prepare, mesh, run, and post process CFD models
- Review post-flight data and compare to pre-flight estimates
- Interface with responsible engineers, providing them inputs to their designs and ensuring they have a clear understanding of the physical phenomena they are dealing with
- Write code and scripts in a variety of languages, making sure they share common interfaces and can be part of a mostly automated workflow
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience with structural or fluid dynamics via full-time employment, outside the classroom projects, or lab work
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Master's degree or PhD in aerospace or mechanical engineering
- Experience with Siemens STAR-CCM+ and developing scripts in Java for it
- Experience with solvers used by NASA for entry vehicles, e.g. FUN3D, Loci/CHEM, DPLR
- Experience with Siemens NX
- Experience with thermal protection systems
- Strong background in external, compressible fluid dynamics
- Must be willing to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Aerodynamics Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Aerodynamics Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.