Lead Integration & Test Engineer, Merlin Final Integration
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD INTEGRATION & TEST ENGINEER, MERLIN FINAL INTEGRATION
- Lead a team of engineers in the final integration and checkouts of the Merlin M1D and MVacD Engines, as well as the Stage 1 Engine Section
- Mentor and support professional development of engineers with a variety of backgrounds and experiences
- Build a medium- to long-term direction for the manufacturing engineering team to overcome challenges and allow production to meet company goals
- Interface with other engineers, subject matter experts, technicians, and leadership teams to solve large-scale production challenges
- Work with design engineering leadership to review system-level changes for manufacturing and collaborate on implementation plans
- Interface with engineers and technicians to optimize manufacturing and automation
- Evaluate non-conformances to determine root cause, and create actionable items and system
- Influence and lead cross-functional teams with design for manufacturability to improve manufacturing processes
- Oversee development and refinement of projects and new processes to increase safety, vehicle reliability, meet production rate and reduce cost
- Find and eliminate process waste; streamline production processes, and enable continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of professional engineering experience in automotive, aviation, or aerospace manufacturing
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience bringing teams and processes from development to production
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with engineering and production
- Master’s degree in engineering or technical discipline
- Knowledge of the basic principles of chemistry, engineering, fluid dynamics and mechanics of materials
- Demonstrated exceptional performance through successful completion of impactful projects in manufacturing processes/equipment
- Functional knowledge of welding principles and NDT techniques for material evaluation
- Experience in process development, linear flow production, PFMEA, and Error-Proofing
- Lean manufacturing principles
- Experience with project management for technical teams
- This is a hands-on position that may require standing for up to 8 hours a day and working directly with hardware on the floor
- Must be comfortable stooping, bending, and standing
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- Must be willing to work some weekends and extended hours periodically
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Lead Integration & Test Engineer: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.