Mechanical Engineer (Gateway)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER (GATEWAY)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 2M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
SpaceX Gateways are responsible for delivering internet from the ground to the satellites – they must be cost effective, capable of high performance in all weather conditions, and reliable over long periods of time. The Gateway team is advancing state of the art RF vacuum electronics, building hardware an order of magnitude faster than traditional industry, for an order of magnitude less cost. This role will own complex hardware from cradle to grave and interact regularly with senior leadership during critical design phases, ushering in the next era of internet and delivering internet to those that need it most.
- Own hardware from conceptual design through high volume production and ground station operation
- Advance state of the art technology for functional, electronic materials
- Rapidly iterate on designs, analysis and test to inform high level systems trades and steer overall product direction
- Develop design criteria, collaborate on requirements, and drive system-level optimization
- Establish an efficient product lifecycle starting in the supply chain all the way through final integration that balances cost, complexity, and quality; work closely with partner teams to design and realize an efficient in-house production line
- Perform environmental and performance testing on hardware to validate analysis and demonstrate compliance to design criteria
- Demonstrate extreme ownership of product outcomes at every stage of development and production
- Work with partner teams to develop novel manufacturing procedures
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM discipline
- 1+ years of experience designing, building, testing, or troubleshooting hardware via professional work experience, project/research-based student experience, or a combination of both (internship experience is applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated full-cycle ownership of a hardware project from concept to implementation
- Exhibit a diverse technical knowledge of materials and their processing, with experience in high temperature processing
- Understanding of fundamental principals in materials science and solid mechanics
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing and scaling to high volume as part of a cross-functional team
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills
- Willing to work extended hours and some weekends if needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k)-retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.