Sr. Sourcing Specialist, Raw Materials (Raptor)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SOURCING SPECIALIST, RAW MATERIALS (RAPTOR)
SpaceX is on a fast track to become the market leader in various product categories like US based human spaceflight, rapid vehicle reusability, internet services through the Starlink constellation, and others exciting projects. The SpaceX supply chain department is a critical player in our operations. To capitalize on SpaceX’s technological and market changing successes, our team will be part of managing an agile, yet robust, supply chain that will enable a competitive advantage for the company. SpaceX supply chain will play a key role in enabling SpaceX to meet these ambitious growth targets and greatly contribute in making us a multi-planetary species.
This is a high-profile, cross functional position that plays an integral role in enabling production flow and supporting launch manifest and key developmental goals. Working in close coordination with engineering and manufacturing departments, supply chain planners execute effective creative and smart supply chain strategies to achieve production goals. The functions within the supply chain management include material requirements planning, delivery management, dock-to-stock coordination, and inventory management. With integration taking place in-house, supply chain managers are able to see their assemblies come to life every day!
- Create sourcing strategies for various metallic raw material alloys to reduce risk and meet targets for the purchasing department including, but not limited to, launch vehicle and engine rate, cost savings initiatives, payment terms, and cash savings.
- Develop and maintain key internal stakeholder relationships to create strategic sourcing models that optimize the value of products and services that support business unit requirements to maintain continuous cost reduction programs for controllable expenditures
- Ensure health of supply base by evaluating and selecting suppliers based on capability, quality, reliability, capacity, and price competitiveness. Ensure supplier meets all critical measures of performance by consistently auditing capacity management systems and probability of successful on time delivery
- Manage contracts to ensure the performance of the supplier to contract obligations
- Understand interrelationships between contracts and terms while applying creativity and sound business reasoning to interpret application of contract to business needs
- Maximize value and cost savings benefits while lowering risk through strategic negotiations
- Consult/advise buyer/planners on raw material strategies to ensure their success and development. Provide high-level oversight and support to ensure operational success in tactical procurement execution
- Identify and drive year over year cost optimization through reducing usage and eliminating waste within our operations
- Place purchase orders and resolve blocked invoices related to assigned categories
- Develop and lead efforts to reduce number of transactions required for yourself, your internal customers, and your suppliers
- Direct and execute initiatives that support aggressive improvements in supplier quality, total cost effectiveness, enhanced service levels, improved coordination, delivery, pricing, lead-times, payment, risk compliance and other areas as identified
- Benchmark, track, and analyze annual performance metrics and sourcing trends against budget on a monthly basis to demonstrate continuous improvement and progress against strategic objectives
- Develop strong relationships with internal stakeholders, understanding their needs and consulting with them to build quality procurement strategies aligned to business requirements. Be the voice of reason and push engineering to make sound design decisions that are conducive to a high performing supply plan. Drive make vs. buy decisions for new products, implement the strategy across the product lifecycle from development, qualification, first article runs through stable production
- Execute RFIs and RFPs, document bid events through correspondence to suppliers; conduct supplier negotiations and ongoing contract management
- Coordinate with engineering and quality organizations to determine cause of rejected material and to drive appropriate changes to ensure elimination/reduction of those quality issues
- Advanced degree; or bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of experience working in one or more of the following; or 6+ years of experience working in one or more of the following:
- Contract negotiation
- Material or production planning
- Operations or supply chain management
- Material cost control
- Master production scheduling
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Familiarity, technical knowledge, and experience working with metallic raw material
- Experience with MRP or enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems, and with managing bill of materials, work orders, and purchase orders
- American Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS) certification, Six Sigma certification, or similar certifications
- Experience in sourcing from a global supply base using various contractual models
- Proven success working on cross-functional new product introduction projects, completing cost models, and negotiating
- Exceptional written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Strong skills in data analysis using Excel, SQL and PowerBI
- Ability to identify and resolve technical, operational and organizational problems
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to respond quickly to a fast-moving and ever-changing environment
- Able to conduct all activities with the highest of integrity
- Understanding of block-chain powered supply chain platforms to boost efficiency, traceability, and payment processing speeds
- Must be able to travel up to 15%
- Must be able to work extended hours, some nights and/or weekends when needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Sr. Sourcing Specialist/Level II: $90,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.