Test Engineering Intern
The Boring Company
Bastrop, TX, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2023
The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
- Design and conduct experiments that serve to optimize the tunneling process (increase speed, reduce cost)
- Design and conduct experiments that validate machine reliability
- Develop data-based models for key tunneling parameters
- Communicate with all stakeholders in the test process and clearly convey results and consequences
- Ensure all systems are compliant with appropriate regulations such as MSHA, OSHA, NEC, NFPA, Class 1 Division 2 Hazardous Location.
- High school diploma or GED and pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in physics, chemistry, math and/or engineering.
- Cross-functional technical knowledge (mechanical, electrical, software, research experience).
- Experience conducting research - collecting data, analyzing data, hypothesize models, verify models.
- Hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing - can be in a professional, academic or recreational setting.
- Experience analyzing data using software (Python, Mathematica, Matlab, R, etc.)
- Acute attention to detail.
- Basic knowledge of tunnel boring processes and related systems (excavation, ground conditioning, grout, tunnel lining, muck removal, etc.)
- Experience analyzing data using Python in Jupyter environment
- Experience of design using CAD software, FEA software, PCB design software, and/or software development.
- Knowledgeable in kinematics, thermodynamics, mechatronics, mechanism design, fluid power system concepts and design, dynamics, material selection, testing methods, and common machining and fabrication processes.
- Experience in creating original research deliverables (papers, presentations, etc.)
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.