Electrical Engineering Intern
The Boring Company
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2023
The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
As an Electrical Engineering Intern, you will be responsible for assisting in the design, implementation, and maintenance of electrical systems in the Vegas Loop. The ideal person for this position enjoys working in a hands-on, fast-paced, and collaborative team environment.
- Design electrical systems such as transformers, automatic transfer switches (ATS), generators, lighting, data acquisition systems, and electrical distribution panels for our tunnels and stations.
- Oversee the installation of such electrical systems by working with contractors and by performing the work first hand.
- Selection and sourcing of components by working with external vendors.
- Work with other engineers to integrate electrical systems with mechanical structures, software packages, and civil engineering systems.
- High School diploma or GED and pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Prior coursework or experience in Power Electronics.
- Strong fundamentals in electromagnetism and mathematics.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Strong teamwork skills with a proven ability to effectively interact and collaborate with other engineering disciplines.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of common serial communication protocols (RS232, RS485, Modbus)
- Hands-on experience with electrical tools (digital multimeter, crimping tools, etc).
- Previous co-op or internship experience.
- Previous hands-on experience in wiring electrical distribution panels
- Position may require extended hours and weekend work.
- This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.