Senior Test Engineer
The Boring Company
Software Engineering, Quality Assurance
Bastrop, TX, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
The Prufrock team creates the world's fastest tunnel boring machines. These machines will be responsible for creating thousands of miles of tunnel and making tunnels a viable method of transportation.
A Test Engineer at The Boring Company plays a pivotal role in the development and evaluation of tunneling boring machines. They are responsible for designing and operating test stands, conducting extensive testing, ensuring safety and reliability, analyzing data, collaborating with cross-functional teams, and contributing to the ongoing improvement of TBM technology. Their work is critical in ensuring that TBMs meet the highest standards of performance and safety for the challenging task of tunnel excavation.
- Bachelor or graduate degree in physics, chemistry, math and/or engineering.
- 5+ years of experience with cross-functional technical (mechanical, electrical, software, research experience).
- Experience conducting research - collecting data, analyzing data, hypothesize models, verify models.
- Hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing - can be in a professional, academic or recreational setting.
- Experience analyzing data using software (Python, Mathematica, Matlab, R, etc.)
- Acute attention to detail.
- Basic knowledge of tunnel boring processes and related systems (excavation, ground conditioning, grout, tunnel lining, muck removal, etc.)
- Experience analyzing data using Python in Jupyter environment
- Experience of design using CAD software, FEA software, PCB design software, and/or software development.
- Knowledgeable in kinematics, thermodynamics, mechatronics, mechanism design, fluid power system concepts and design, dynamics, material selection, testing methods, and common machining and fabrication processes.
- Experience in creating original research deliverables (papers, presentations, etc.)
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.