Contractor Special Security Officer
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
Vannevar Labs builds next generation defense software for the public servants keeping our country safe. As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
This mission has become urgent. Ukraine is engaged in a war for survival with Russia. China regularly flies nuclear-capable bombers into Taiwan and Japan’s airspace. The US and our allies are fighting a war of deterrence with woefully outdated technology.
We build software to support these missions, including providing battlefield information to allies, identifying malign activity, and helping the US deter and deescalate conflict.
We are a profitable growth startup with some of the best defense investors in the world, including General Catalyst, DFJ Growth, Point72, and enterprise tech investors Costanoa and Felicis.
Vannevar Labs is seeking a Contractor Special Security Officer (CSSO) with experience across all security disciplines to include program, personnel, physical, and communications security. The individual selected will serve as the primary security representative for this location and will have the opportunity to build the security program from the ground up.
- Responsible for all aspects of onsite security management of the facility to include access and visitor control, alarm maintenance, document control, and maintain safes/locks.
- Maintain SCIF accreditation and coordinate co-use/joint-use agreements, as necessary.
- Develop and implement security policies to include a SCIF SOP, Emergency Action Plan, and insider threat program plan.
- Manage the facility’s COMSEC account and maintain oversight of COMSEC material.
- Provide security indoctrinations, debriefings, annual refresher trainings, and pre/post-travel briefings.
- Investigate security violations and submit required reports to the CSA.
- Conduct annual self-inspections and implement mitigations for any findings and deficiencies.
- Provide administrative support to the ISSM and System Administrator for accreditation/re-accreditation of classified information systems and long-range planning of future system deployment.
- Perform other security-related tasks as directed by the FSO.
Knowledge and Skills
- Thorough understanding of ICD/ICS 705, SEAD 3, 32 CFR Part 117, and CNSSI 4001/4003/4004.1/4005
- Working knowledge of DISS, NBIS, NISS, and SWFT
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with all levels of personnel and management
- Must have an active Top Secret clearance with SCI eligibility
- 5+ years of experience as a CSSO
- Experience managing a NSA COMSEC account
- Industrial Security Professional (ISP) certification preferred
What We Offer:
Health, dental, and vision insurance
Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
Mental health benefits
Pet care reimbursement during travel
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!