Senior Mission Development Manager
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
Vannevar Labs builds next generation defense software for the public servants keeping our country safe. As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
This mission has become urgent. Ukraine is engaged in a war for survival with Russia. China regularly flies nuclear-capable bombers into Taiwan and Japan’s airspace. The US and our allies are fighting a war of deterrence with woefully outdated technology. We build software to support these missions, including providing battlefield information to allies, identifying malign activity, and helping the US deter and deescalate conflict.
We are a profitable growth startup with some of the best defense investors in the world, including General Catalyst, DFJ Growth, Point72, and enterprise tech investors Costanoa and Felicis.
About the role
We're looking for a Senior Mission Development Manager to pursue go-to market strategies and deliver significant growth outcomes at Vannevar. This position will report to a Senior Mission Development Manager aligned to one of our growth pods. These pods focus on launching foothold pilots, converting pilots into larger projects, and embedding those projects within existing programs or inventing new ones within the national security space.
We're looking for someone who brings experience and intuition growing defense product deployments from small-scale pilots into larger projects with the Department of Defense. You have mission domain expertise in national security technology and are hungry to work in a national security startup where you can build a team and drive significant mission outcomes through creative approaches, deep understanding of our technologies and their applications to strategic competition with nation states, and relentless ground game. As a Senior Mission Development Manager, you will lead execution of a growth strategy for expanding current deployments and developing new national security deployments. The intended growth trajectory of this role is to develop into a Senior Manager leading a pod or sets of pods to deliver on major growth outcomes within 12-18 months of joining the company.
What you'll do
- Set strategy with mission team leadership. Create a go-to market strategy that will create new footholds to embed in current defense programs and develop into new category-defining programs.
- Deliver growth outcomes. Execute on this strategy to deliver growth from concept through contract close.
- Lead mission pods. Our mission team is organized into pods of growth, execution, and technology owners. As a senior mission development owner, you will build a pod around the footholds you develop. This pod is likely to be you and 1-3 other teammates in the first year, and grow from there as your footholds grow into larger projects.
What we're looking for
- 5+ years delivering growth for defense products
- Demonstrated ability to transition pilots and deliver growth outcomes
- Mission domain experience in national security technology
- Must have an active Top Secret Security Clearance or have held one previously.
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access U.S. only data systems and export controlled data.
- Up to 50% travel
What we offer
The salary range for this position is $180,000-$220,000 + equity + 401K match. Within the range, individual pay is determined by experience, relevant education, and/or training.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
- 401k matching
- Mental benefits
- Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
- Pet and child care reimbursement during travel
- Unlimited PTO
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!